Skip to main content

Family member in halfway and staff let other addicts pack and also steal.

Tampa, FL |

I had a family member in a halfway house and when she relapsed the staff had other addicts pack my cousin's things with little supervision of staff. When she went back to get her things there was over $1000 in items missing. What can she do about this? She spoke with the owner and she was like oh well it's the cost you pay for relapsing... Please help! Thanks!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


She could try suing in small claims court, but she will have to prove her case with admissible evidence. I'm not sure how she's going to prove her things were taken and by whom, especially since they can point to the fact that she may have been under the influence. It's whomever the judge believes, but the court will not entertain hearsay, hunches, conjecture or speculation.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.


Small claims court


You can sue in small claims court however probably not worth doing.


Perhaps see if there are any witnesses who observed anything. Create a list of items missing and request that the facility pay for this loss. If not than small claims court is an option. You can go to the local courthouse and ask for assistance in filing a small claims action and you will be assisted in doing so. This way the court will ask both sides to mediate or simply put try to settle before any dragged out litigation goes on.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer