Skip to main content

Family Law and my ex is in contempt of court for almost 2 yrs. Judge will NOT have a hearing

Jacksonville, FL |

My final hearing on divorce was 6-2011. My ex was ordered to pay the mortgage on marital home where I live, association fees, 1/2 of 401K, pay debts to creditors, $100.00 a month, for child support and alimony. He never paid me the 401K or marital debts. He quit paying home mortgage in September 2011 and my house is in foreclosure. He has a prominent attorney and I have none. i do not have the $$ anymore. Legal Aid will not help me and I have asked many for pro bono work. I even wrote a letter to Chief Judge. The judge refuses to have a hearing or recuse himself as I have filed pro se. What can I do? I am left with no funds. I was married for 18 yrs. and my son just turned 17. The divorce was filed in 2009 and I have never received any support.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you do not qualify for legal aid, that means you have income above the poverty level. If no pro bono attorney will accept your case, it means it is too complex and we attorneys have to earn a living as well to support our families. If the Judge will not give you time, it means there is nothing pending.

So, you need to be at the law library Monday morning and learn how to read the law and fight this. Whatever question you have, the answer is either in the statute or in case law.

If you have truly never received Child Support, you need to go sit in the local office of the Department of Revenue, CSE, and ask for help.

Good luck.

This information is a general answer and is not specific to any particular case. Carin Manders Constantine, Esq. 727-456-0032/ 727-488-8272


The judge will not have a hearing because you have most likely not filed anything, i.e. a motion that needs to be heard. A judge will not have a hearing based off a letter. You need an attorney or as my colleague suggested, you need to take action on your own.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


It is time to hire an attorney to pursue the contempt or enforcement motions that should be filed.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer