Skip to main content

Family Law ?

Los Angeles, CA |

I have visits every 2nd and 4th Sat. Dad says I can have child on Xmas, I don't trust him. He may say I kidnapped her. How do I protect myself? Get our agreement in writing to be signed at a police station?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes - try to get written confirmation. Location does not matter - it does not need to be signed at a police station. You do not want to present him with a long arduous contract; rather, you want to make it as easy as possible for him to agree in writing. For example, if you have his e-mail address, you could send him something to the effect of,

'Dear XX, I thought about our conversation yesterday when you said that I could visit with XX on Christmas. It would mean so much to me to spend the holiday with our child. Please respond to this e-mail to confirm this is still ok, and to let me know when I can pick him/her up. Again, thank you.'

If he responds, you will have your written confirmation, which will probably protect you later on if he tries to frame you or set you up. If he refuses to respond in writing, you may be on alert that he is playing games.

Family law can be extremely acrimonious. Often, open communication can help. However, if you are still concerned, you should consult with a family law attorney in your area for more specific advice on how to protect your rights.

I am not your attorney. This comment does not create an attorney-client relationship. I have not considered the circumstances of your case. Rather, this general information is being provided as a courtesy to you for informational and educational purposes only. It is no substitute for the advice of an attorney.


I agree with Mr. Hopstone. Usually documenting the other parties willingness to agree to allow you visitation with your child on christmas would be a prudent way of trying to resolve these matters without having to seek court assistance.

This response is not intended, nor should it be construed as legal advice. Any information provided is for educational purposes only. The exchange of communications through and similar social media does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me or my office.


A writing will document the agreement and be prove of his intentions.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer