Skip to main content

Family Court Procedure in Georgia

Cochran, GA |

It is a contested custody divorce and the oc and judge are friends. The oc got the case referred to family / juvenile court in the Oconee Judicial circuit (8th district). I am not sure if it was discussed at the calendar call or ex-parte order. What are the procedures for family court to decide custody? What do I need to do to prepare (psych, etc)?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


There is ONE must to prepare. A contested custody case without a lawyer is very likely to go very badly for you. That means hire a good lawyer and do what he says. That is the single thing that will matter most.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


You will need hire an attorney. Juvenile Court can decide most issues of custody, at least temporarily, and are often employed in the Oconee circuit to decide such matters. I can refer you to several local options who specialize in Domestic Relations. Please feel free to call my office.


Since custody is involved you will definately need to hire a good attorney to address this issue. Custody cases can become very complex and involved very quickly.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer