Skip to main content

Family are living in the US on L1/L2 visa but I don't qualify. Any options?

Kirkland, WA |

I am a British citizen. My father is living and working in America on an L1 visa, my mother and 13 year old brother are also here on an L2. As I am over 21, I do not qualify for the L2 visa. However I am financially dependent on my parents and I also do not have a home in England (I have been teaching/travelling for the past 2 years and thus working short-term contracts). Aside from the obvious choices of studying in the US or becoming employed by a company that will support a visa, are there any other options?
My father is in the process of applying for his Green Card and I know when that's been successful he can petition, but this could be quite a long time away.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


None are apparent based on the little you have posted.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


It would be prudent to consult an immigration attorney to extensively review your facts.


You should re-post this question on the Immigration forum.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes


There are many things you need to consider - I would speak to an immigration attorney

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


A lot of possibilities, and difficulties. It will be worthwhile for you to have your own immigration lawyer to help you strategize. Be serious.

This is general advice, and does not constitute an attorney client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer