Skip to main content

False hit and run filed against me

Lawrenceville, GA |

I was in a road rage situation with an individual we got a yelling match while sitting at a red light 5 days later police come to my house and said that I was involved in a hit and run. Our vehicles never touched and now the individual has filed a claim against me thru my insurance company. The police gave them my insurance info. Now what?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Turn this over to your insurance company and let them handle it. Let your insurance company know that there was no physical contact.


You hire a lawyer for the criminal case, and you turn the civil matter to defend over to your insurer.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


The insurance company should easily handle the "accident" portion of the claim. You will need to have an attorney assist with the criminal portion of the charges however. PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO HANDLE THAT PART YOURSELF. I often see people do that in Recorders Court here in Decatur and it ALWAYS ends horribly. Get someone with experience to help.


Hire an experienced traffic lawyer to handle the hit and run charge. Let your insurance company handle the accident claim. Make sure they understand that there was no contact and no accident. They should not pay any money for a bogus claim. Insurance fraud should be taken very seriously. Good luck.


The other attorneys here have given you some good advice, to hand over the civil claim to the insurance company, and hire an attorney to handle the criminal matter. I would add that even if your car did not contact the other vehicle, it's possible for you cause an accident and cause damage to the other vehicle. If you were both out of your vehicle, I'm thinking there's a possibility that the argument was over your causing the other vehicle to get in an accident or get damaged. In that case, regarding the criminal action, you may have some affirmative defenses to that charge and should discuss everything happened with your criminal attorney without leaving out the incident that occurred prior to the argument.

The DiGiulio Law Firm, LLC. Phone: 888-540-4529 Website: Atlanta, Marietta, Lawrencevile, Duluth, Alpharetta, Buckhead The above answer is for general information purposes and is offered as a service to the public. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, reviews or other communications, including the above post, should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation or relied upon as a substitute for engaging legal counsel, nor does it constitute advertising or a solicitation. Viewing the general information here, including your receipt or transmission of information hereof does not alone create or constitute an attorney-client relationship or ensure confidentiality. Please contact 770-309-9551 for additional questions or to schedule for your free phone consultation. If this question or answer pertains to bankruptcy, please be advised that we are a federal debt relief agency. One of our areas of practice is to help people file for bankruptcy relief and protection under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.


Retain a local criminal lawyer to fight it.