Skip to main content

False claim U.S citizenship on i-9

New York, NY |

My husband claimed he was a U.S citizen on I-9 form about seven years ago. He ended the job the same year he was hired. He did not apply yet for permanent residency. Can immigration find out about this form even though it may be destroyed? If so, how should we proceed?

His co-worker told him that they destroyed his entire file, including i-9.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It is possible they could find out. How do you know it was destoryed? I would hire an attorney to do due dillegence and advise you before you file as false claims to citizenship are removable crimes

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at



His co-worker told him that they destroyed his entire file, including i-9. Thanks for the advice.


A finding of a false claim to citizenship renders an alien permanently inadmissible to the United States with very few exceptons. Some Court have held that making such a claim on an I-9 form is sufficient to apply the bar. There is also a question as to whether the representation was as a citizen or national. Thus, the answer to your question is going to be very facts specific. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review the facts of your case and advise you as to the options available and how best to proceed.

Jeffrey A. Devore, Esq.
Board Certified Immigration Attorney
Devore Law Group, P.A.
2925 PGA Blvd., Suite 204
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
Telephone: (561) 478-5353
Facsimile: (561) 478-2144
Skype: jeffrey.a.devore


You are using the wrong approach for your stay in the U.S. Whereas the use of medical marijuana is permitted under the laws of the state of California, under the federal law you are still planning to commit an act of moral turpitude and a crime under the U.S. federal law.
First and foremost, I suggest NEVER stating or admitting anything of criminal nature online. Ever. Secondly, from what your described your husband committed a federal crime of claiming citizenship which is an automatic preclusion for AOS.
Now, in certain current cases such applications were deemed as missing the component of intentional deception on the part of unsophisticated applicants.
For the most rational handling of your case, please retain a good immigration attorney to handle your spouse's case procedurally correctly for legally appropriate results. Do not make any more statements and mistakes. As you can see for yourself, it only complicates your lives and may affect your future negatively.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 101, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602