Skip to main content

False claim of US citizenship; would it tank N400 application for assylee?

Los Angeles, CA |

I am an assylee about to apply for N400 application. I am false claim to be a US citizen while my asylum case was undergoing. I was fearful of going home and wanted to practice my profession from home. It was discovered by a state licensing board and a settlement was made between me and the board. The incident happened 9 years ago and I received my green card without problems. Will this tank my N400 application?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You should consult with an attorney as this is usually a problem.

This answer is provided for general education purposes only and is not intended to provide, nor does it provide, any legal advice.   By viewing this answer you understand and expressly agree that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the attorney who authored the answer.  Should you need legal advice, please contact a licensed attorney who practices in this area.  Readers of this answer and the information contained herein should not act upon any information contained in this answer without seeking legal counsel.


Yes, unless you can show that you did it unintentionally and moved the correct withint reaonable time of figuring it out. This does not seem an option, however on your facts as presented.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.



thanks for the answer. If I am to be deported, where would they send me? I was granted asylum so I can not go back home


It would depend on what exactly was your understanding and intention. Of course, if you intended on gaining an immigration benefit and knew you were pretending to be a U.S. Citizen, then it would likely be ruled you do not have good moral character.

We have 3 offices over the State of California and an international office in the Philippines. We do 100% Immigration Law, have done nearly 5000 cases and can help you. Should you want an in depth consultation, please schedule one at or call 562-495-0554 or e-mail me directly at


False claim to U.S. Citizenship is generally a ban to U.S. Citizenship unless it was not done intentionally or to gain an immigration benefit. It is important to speak to a experienced Immigration Attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer