Skip to main content

Fake ID taken by police, no previous record, was not summoned to court. Advice about next step?

Brighton, CO |

I am 19 and my ID was taken by the police. At the time, I was given an MIP and a summons to court for the MIP only, the officer told me that the ID would be handed over to "the detective" (or something along those lines) and they would decide whether or not a warrant would be put out for my arrest. When I tried to ask the officer when I would find this out by, or if and how I would be contacted, she was very vague and would not give me any answers. Do you think it is likely or possible that charges will be pressed? I only wonder because I was given no information about what would actually happen and how. I'm hoping I will find out more details at my MIP court date but until then, should I consult a lawyer or just wait until then?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need to hire a criminal defense attorney ASAP. You do not want and can not wait until you MIP court date to "find out." You need to "lawyer up" now and let your attorney do the talking for you.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.


I agree with Mr. Leroi -- hire a criminal defense attorney as soon as you can to understand all of the possibilities. The allegations are serious.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


The prosecution can choose to add additional charges in your case at any time up until the trial begins. I agree with my colleagues that you should retain an attorney now and have him/her deal with the Deputy D.A. when your case comes up for hearing.