Skip to main content

Failure to surrender security deposits to the new management company,

Charlotte, NC |

My existing property manager was terminated on 10/30/2013. He has yet to surrender the pet and security deposits to the new management company after many notices and attempts. What is my recourse. I'm in Calif and he is in North Carolina.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Start with your property management agreement to see if this is addressed. If not, you will have to demand that the money be returned within a certain time and, if not, you will have to file an action for conversion or breach of contract in small claims.


I agree with the above attorney, however you might need to file in a different court depending on the amount of money he owes. The clerk of court should be able to instruct you on the appropriate limits for small claims, district, and superior courts.

These answers are not intended nor shall it be deemed to be the rendering of legal advice, they are given based on the information provided which is insufficient to give meaningful advise. These answers shall not be construed as part of the creation of an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it impose an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry. The Questioner has responsibility of obtaining legal advice from an attorney and is urged to do so. If the Questioner wants to hire this Attorney for their case they must first contact his law office by emailing him at to setup a consultation. After a full discussion of the facts The Law Office of Stephen M. Corby, PLLC can decided whether or not to accept the case.