Skip to main content

Failure to give information after striking an unattended vehicle.

Mundelein, IL |

I hit a car in parking lot when backing out and I checked and it didn't leave any damaged. I left. Then someone else who is not the owner reported it. Police came and gave me ticket for Failure to give information after striking an unattended vehicle. Then, he said I also hit another car beside me which I didn't aware. But I called the other car after police told me and went through the details. He said it's nothing major and I told him that I will pay for it. The police also gave me a report for this one. I heard that the court fees and fines can be about $500. I have clean record. How bad will this be when I go to the court?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You should contact an attorney such as myself for a free consultation.

That being said, you have a bit of a pickle here. You admit you hit a vehicle, and yet there is no damage to speak of. Have you contacted the owner of this car to confirm this?

I am a bit concerned as to the alleged 2nd vehicle you are talking about hitting. Did the officer tell you this was reported?

I may have misread your post, but it sounds like you have already dealt with the 2nd car owner. Why have you not dealt with the 1st car owner?

It seems based on what you have written, that you were observed hitting the cars not by the police, but by this not-owner witness. Under the 6th Amendment, you have a right to face your accuser. I would advise you not post any more admissions to hitting any cars here or anywhere else online, and speak to an attorney without delay. This can be a complex or fairly easy situation, but you really do not help yourself admitting to anything, even on a forum such as this.

Good luck.

This answer is marginal legal advice and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Every client and case is unique. The best advice is to always consult with an attorney. Free legal resources at


You will probably be fine. Whoever told you the fines and fees could be up to $500 did you no service by scaring you. Go to court, preferably with a lawyer. The fact that you already admitted hitting one vehicle is not in your favor but the fact that you observed no damage is. There will probably be no witness against you. A couple hundred dollars to be represented in court will give you a priceless amount of peace of mind. Best wishes to you.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein


Keep in mind also that you should not admit to the court that you hit the car. This admission could be used in a civil lawsuit against you later. Your lawyer will know how to handle this issue.



Thanks. I contacted a laywer.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein


Good move.


Well, there is only property damage and so this is a much lesser offense than leaving the scene of an accident which caused injury.

If you are concerned, consult with a traffic attorney. If not, it is doubtful any judge would fine you anywhere near that much.

Best bet is to contact a lawyer first, before you make a mistake by either pleading guilty to something you didn't do or show up at court and get confused. Generally, this should not be a problem.

However, keep in mind that if you did actually injure anyone or if there is a dispute over whose fault the damage is (and it appear the answers to these questions is no injuries and it's all your fault), a plea of guilty would be useable against you in any civil case.

You should also report this to your insurance carrier.

Stephen L. Hoffman
Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
Chicago, IL

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.


Spend a couple hundred bucks for a local traffic court lawyer and fight it. With a lawyer, your chances for a successful resolution increase exponentially.

Avvo personal injury email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about personal injury law.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer