Facebook evidence in a divorce?

Knoxville, TN |

Can photos, comments, and "check-in" locations posted on Facebook be used as evidence in a divorce? My ex hasn't supported our child for months and claims it's because he's broke, but has posted things on Facebook about going to concerts, photos & "check-in" posts that shown him bar hopping and meeting women.

Absolutely. However, you must lay a proper foundation and introduce it as relevant and meet other evidentary requirements which an attorney could best assist you with.

Attorney Williams practices FAMILY LAW throughout the State of California and may be reached at (831) 233-3558 and offers free consultations. The response provided in this forum is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information offered in this response is for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon without further consultation with a legal professional after all relevant facts are disclosed and considered. DANIEL S. WILLIAMS, ESQ. LAW OFFICES OF DANIEL S. WILLIAMS 500 LIGHTHOUSE AVENUE, STE. A MONTEREY, CA 93940 (831) 233-3558 -- OFFICE (831) 233-3560 -- FAX

Facebook has a precedence of being used as evidence in a court setting. I agree with Mr. Williams that you should seriously consider consulting with a locally knowledgeable attorney to help you through your divorce. I hope this helps and good luck.

Yes, it can. But you need a proper foundation. Check with your lawyer.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

In my recent experience, It can be some of your best evidence.

Avvo divorce email series

Sign up to receive a 10-part series of useful information and legal advice about the divorce process.