Skip to main content

F1 visa quiets school what should I do to be in a legal status after getting married from US citizen ?

Dayton, OH |

I am a Saudi student I have scholarship from my government to study in the united state I hold F1 visa . I have been living with my American girlfriend since 2010 until now, but I couldn't marry her because my government will cancel my scholarship. I quit school last week in order to marry my girlfriend , I am planing to get job after I get married and continue my studies but I am worry about my f1 visa status and I don't know what should I do to be in the safe side with the immigration department

I didn't inform my school that I quit I just stopped attending class since last week .How long it usually takes to affect my F1 visa status after quitting school ? Also how long it takes to get the green card after marriage if I eligible to get it?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

If you are married to a U.S. citizen and last entered using a visa, then you are likely eligible to get your green card by filing an adjustment of status application with USCIS (along with all other required forms). Seek counsel to represent you and she as your status is critical for your family unity.



Thank you for your fast respond .How long it usually takes to affect my F1 visa status after quitting school ? Also how long it takes to get the green card after marriage ?

Philip Alan Eichorn

Philip Alan Eichorn


Hi. Your not being in school is weighed against you. If your case is otherwise "clean," then you should be fine. It takes about 3-4 months of processing time and then about 10-20 days after the marriage interview before the card arrives.


If you are married to a United States citizen and she files a petition for you and you obtain permanent resident Status you will not need the F status. Since you quit school you may Already have giving up your status


Apply for adjustment of status with the i-130 petition filed by your spouse for you.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


After marriage your wife can file a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, and concurrently, you will need to apply for permanent residence on Form I-485..

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.


Marry her and hire an experienced attorney to help you apply for lawful permanent residence. If you do it right, the unlawful presence now does not matter.

From my HTC Sensation 4G on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network

----- Reply message -----

Andrew M. Bramante, Rosner Partners, 216-771-5588. Free telephone consultation. You should always consult with an experienced immigration attorney to make certain that the advice you received is appropriate for your particular immigration case.