Skip to main content

F1 visa. What applications that I need to submit beside I-765 ?-when I can be able to quit school after i marriage ?

Columbus, OH |

I am an international student here on an f1 visa. In June I plan to marry my American girlfriend, whom I have lived with since 2010. the next semester will start in 20 august and i don't know if i will be able to pay my school tuition next semester or not because my government will cancel my scholarship once i get married and they will stop paying my tuition in the beginning of the semester or when they find out .
1-When will I become eligible to work in the US ?
2-when I can be able to quit school after i marriage and able and start working without affecting my visa status?
3-What the applications that I need to submit beside I-765 ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

1. If everything is properly filed about 90 days after filing
2. after approval
3. I-130, I-485 with supporting documents


1. Once you have work authorization
2. Whenever you want, assuming the green card is ultimately approved
3. Too many to list here. You can find them on the USCIS website. Better yet, consult with an attorney.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


1. 90 days after filing the I-765
2. Anytime after filing a 'correct' one-step application 'kit'.
3. Too many forms to list out ... talk to an attorney for proper guidance.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


This is not a general question. You are asking for a consultation. No problem, but not on AVVO. AVVO is a free general legal information blog, not a substitute for legal advice. Hire an immigration attorney for that.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


This is a repost. See my other answer. You can quit school any time without affecting your green card application.

From my HTC Sensation 4G on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network

----- Reply message -----

Andrew M. Bramante, Rosner Partners, 216-771-5588. Free telephone consultation. You should always consult with an experienced immigration attorney to make certain that the advice you received is appropriate for your particular immigration case.