Skip to main content

F-1 Visa Overstay getting married to US citizen after working illegally and filing taxes

Brooklyn, NY |

Hello , I am glad there are sites like this where everyone helps each other out with useful information that inherently make or break someones future . With that said , I am considering retaining a lawyer , but the financial aspect is what makes me consider other options : I came into the US 9 years ago under an F - 1 Visa and was inspected by immigration on coming in . I went off status a year later due to lack of funds and then went on to enroll in a community college without changing the school formally in my I - 20 , so I paid in - state tuition . I paid by working at a local pharmacy store under the guise that I was a citizen ( I checked Citizen on my 2 ) . I was able to file taxes as I was issued a social which did say it was not valid for work authorization . Three years ago , I started Nursing SC

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You should strongly consider retaining an attorney to assist you with this matter. I understand there are a financial issues that may keep you from considering the option, but many attorneys, including our office, will allow installment payments. The reason I am concerned for you is that you claimed to be a United States citizen. This is a very serious problem. Falsely claiming United States can lead to a permanent bar to admission with no waiver. You should consult an experienced immigration about your situation before taking any steps to file the petition.


To get an answer to a question, you must first ask the question. There is no question in your posting.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


I agree with my colleague. You should consult an experienced immigration attorney for this matter. You may schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer in your area, my firm is handling these matters in New York.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova