Skip to main content

F-1 visa out of status for 3 semester and I'm married to a US citizen getting ready to apply for adjustment of status

Dallas, TX |

I'm an F-1 visa out of status for almost 1,5 year and I'm married to US citizen for almost 3 months. I'm about to apply for adjustment status. I have been in my student status for 3 years. my I-94 is written D/S and the visa stamped already expired. I have questions on the I-485 and I-130, I can't answer:
1) current USCIS status?
2) Expire on mm/dd//year?
3) Date authorized stay expired, or will expired as shown on the I-94 or I-95

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

Congratulations on your marriage.

You probably don't think you can afford an attorney .. that is unwise. You should at-least have a consultation to get on the right track.

1. F-1 (out-of-status)
2. D/S (my assumption, look at your I-94)
3. DS (my assumption, look at your I-94)

Talk to a lawyer .. these are easy questions ... there are other parts of the forms that have hidden 'time bombs' that you may not even be aware of.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Carolyn Jean Fuchs

Carolyn Jean Fuchs


There is no substitute for expert advice. But make sure you evaluate the attorney as to qualifications such as years of practice, area of expertise, results. Best to get a referral.


for the first one you can put pending i-130 application which would make the second one N/A. For the third one you need to put whatever date is on your I-94. It is always best to consult an immigration attorney when filing for adjustment of status as all forms need to be filled out completely and accurately.

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.


As the Professore already so rightfully suggested, you would be unwise to proceed on your own, make mistakes and needlessly delay the final resolution of your case.
1. Simply put "out of status" (Don't worry, no one will come after you..)
2. "N/A - D/S"
3. Unless a date is shown on the I-94, simply put again "N/A - D/S".

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


I agree with all answers previously given. Find an experienced immigration attorney here in Texas to assist. Don't try to do this without that aid.

Attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. Please contact at the Law Office of Daniel Corno, (832) 767-2922, 1535 South Richey, Pasadena, Texas 77502,


For Q #1: O/S
For Q#2: provide the date you stopped attending school or otherwise violated your status
For Q#3: same as Q#2.

While these are general answers based on general information, you should at last have an immigration consultation to understand the big picture since it's not what it appears to be by just reading the forms. Then you can decide if you want an attorney to handle the casse and accompany you to the interview.

Avvo makes it clear to consumers that attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. Please note further that any answer is based on a general question and other facts which are not disclosed may change the answer. The information provided is not legal advice but only intended to provide general information. Immigration law is complex and no one should make decisions without consulting a qualified attorney.