Skip to main content

F-1 status unauthorized employment

New York, NY |

I'm in an F-1 status. I am working as a church musician and was in and out of a cpt authorization for this work a few times during last year. I was given a 1099 form to file the taxes last year for it, and I did file them, however most part of the earnings was under the authorized employment. My question is how possible it is that USCIS will find out about this times of unauthorized employement? Also I wasn't able to find any information on how USCIS can actually find any unauthorized student employment? My SSN has no record of the employment which was on 1099, as I was told, and the tax papers I filed do not specify the dates I got this salary for,as I remember. What would be the future consequences of this part-unauthorized employment?

Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


USCIS will likely not find out.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Unlikely that the USCIS will learn about this. Please do not work without authorization!

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Very possible.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer