Skip to main content

F-1 status to work visa filing

Long Island City, NY |


I am on F-1 visa and currently working on OPT status with STEM OPT Extension application under review.
Do I need to apply for work visa before my current OPT expires and STEM OPT Extension decision has not been made?

Thank you,

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


STEM OPT is an excellent option for persons who do not have the option of being sponsored for an employment based visa category such as H1B. If there is an employer ready to file an H1B petition for you and the visa cap is either not applicable because you have held H1B status at some point within the past 6 years, or the employer is cap-exempt, by all means cooperate with the employer in the filing of an H1B petition.


No, you do not need to make any further application if your STEM OPT extension was properly filed in a timely manner. If your current employment card expires, employment authorization is automatically extended up to 180 days while you await a decision on your STEM OPT extension application. Good luck!

FREE INITIAL CONSULTATION AVAILABLE. Phone (646) 663-5902. Offices in Queens and Manhattan. Website located at Our responses on this site do not create an attorney-client relationship. Our responses on this website are for educational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. Immigration and nationality law is a complex area of law which requires careful review of a person's particular circumstances. Do not rely on any answers provided on this site to make a decision on your case. For proper legal advice, you may contact us for a free initial consultation.



Mr. Asatrian's practice is dedicated to the area of immigration and nationality law. Please note the information provided herein does not constitute legal advice and should not be construed as such by anyone. It should not be relied upon as legal advice as more specific facts, research and analysis may be required to formulate a proper strategy and action in your matter. Please note this does not create an attorney-client relationship whatsoever. You should seek the assistance of an experienced immigration attorney to review your matter thoroughly and gather all of the necessary information and documentation to provide you with the best possible legal solution.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer