Skip to main content

F-1 overstayed for about 2 years after dropping out of school. Wondering if I can continue my studies to get my degree again.

Flushing, NY |

came to US as F-1 student and studied for over 2 and a half years and had to drop out due to financial reasons. Been overstaying here ever since for about 2 years now. I still haven't got any "notice to appear" or any document from any government organization. I was wondering IF I could go back to school to continue my studies and finish my degree, that is, if I could reinstate the student status.
Additional Info: D/S on I-20 and I-94.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You may be able to file for reinstatement, as long as you did not engage in unauthorized employment.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


2 years of having been out of status is a long time. Usually it is easier to renew your F1 status if you've only been out of status for 5 months or less. Contact an immigration attorney directly, and work closely with the DSO of the school where you are intending to enroll.

Gunda J. Brost Brost Law Office This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.


It is unlikely, you have been out of status for 2 years and the grace period is usually for about 5 months, you will have to show that you have not been working for the past two years.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer