Skip to main content

Expired h1b visa, tn1 nafta visa, procedure to renew expired h1b

Baltimore, MD |

I held a H1B visa from 3/28/2001 to 3/01/2004. I left US in January 2004 as my family and I applied and obtained permanent residence in Canada. We are now Canadian citizens and the same company which obtained the H1B visa for me previously has offered me a job and would like me to return to US. Can I renew the original H1B visa for another 3 years after it expired in 2004?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


A better approach would likely be for you to go for the TN1 NAFTA visa which is available to all Canadian citizens who are working as business professionals rather than attempting to renew your expired H1B.

The TN1 visa can actually be issued to you at the border with proof of your Canadian citizenship and a well
written letter describing your professional status and proposed business activities in the United States.

Attempting to renew your expired H1B would under all circumstances take much longer than this TN1 visa.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer