Skip to main content

Expedite Case with USCIS for COS.

Fremont, CA |

Hi,My Change of Status application from H4 to F1 is pending with USCIS and it\'s been 2 months and a week(applied on may 31) . Since my h4 status expires on aug 20 , I need my F1 visa by that time in order to join the classes. I called the customer care and found that the last processed case was May 2nd. Can i expedite my case to USCIS stating the above reason ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Expediting is not particularly achievable endeavor.


Attorney Bychok is correct. To expedite you need exigent circumstances.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Your posting has no facts that would warrant an expedite. The fastest way to be on F-1 status is always to apply for an F-1 visa back home.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


I agree with my colleagues. You may request the matter be expedited, but it will probably get you nowhere. Change of status requests are processed on a first come, first serve basis. You must have extenuating circumstances to have the request expedited.

Wendy R. Barlow, Esq, The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., 111 Broadway, Suite 1306, New York NY 10006, (866) 456-­8654,, The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this answer, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the answer without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney. Provision of information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., nor is it intended to do so.


You have no basis to expedite your case. Go home before your current visa expires and file from there.


My colleagues are correct ... you can't ask them to rush merely because you didn't file early enough.

How early is early enough? I recommend 5-6 months.

Or, you can fly home and get the visa before August 20th.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.