Executor threatening to withhold money to beneficiary

My sister whom I don't get along with is threatening to withhold my money if I don't sign an agreement stating I would give 10% each to my children, or she will spread my payments out over years so that I won't get any substantial amount at a time. This wasn't in the will. I also haven't received an accounting or any amount I am to receive from her. What are my rights? This is in California. She is doing this all through her husband as she refuses to speak with me directly. She is also meeting with attorneys about this, which is probably coming out of the estate. If she had her way, I'd get nothing. She was the POA before my grandmother passed away. Again she is threatening war with me over this and that she will make it hard to get my money. What are my options.

Your post does not contain the kind of facts necessary to advise you except to say you have the right to petition the court and have the court intervene if you feel your grandmother’s estate is not being handled correctly.

If you have a copy of the Will and any declaration of trust I suggest you take those, and any other documents you have that concern the matter, to an attorney for review. That would be a start. If your sister has an attorney, you should have one too. Otherwise, you’re at a distinct disadvantage. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Given that your sister has already consulted with attorneys regarding this issue, you are at a distinct disadvantage unless you do the same. You should gather any information you have regarding the estate and consult with a local probate litigator. Your statement of facts doesn't provide enough information to give you more direction, other than you can petition the court to intervene.

** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** My response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attoreny-client relationship. When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel. Law Offices of Eric J. Gold www.EGoldLaw.com Telephone: 818-279-2737 Email: service@egoldlaw.con

I agree with my colleagues. You really need to have this reviewed by a probate litigation attorney. Your summary does not provide any indication as to how your sister would have the right to control or direct YOUR inheritance. Without being able to review the documents, it is impossible to give you any real guidance. I would have an attorney review this so you know where you stand. It also strikes me that you may have a hard time standing up to your sister (and her husband). But your attorney will not have this problem.

Another practical answer might be to have your children agree to give you the funds, after they receive them. Since you are somewhat at their mercy, however, that is obviously less ideal.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!