Skip to main content

Ex not paying Attorney Fees

Irving, TX |

My Ex's attorney withdraw from our case and she has pettion the cout to collect her attorney fees and has entered the case as an intervenor. I am owed back support from my Ex can her attorney try to collect the back support owed to me? Should I hire an attorney to repersent me?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

There's two things going on here: (1) the attorneys fees owed by your ex to her attorney; and (2) the back support owed to you. Your ex's attorney cannot preempt what is owed to you. My question is, do you have a judgement in place for the back support? Or is this still a contested issue?

The back support and attorneys fees are independent of one another. That being said, and practically speaking, and assuming your ex isn't made of money, you can't get blood from a stone. Getting a judgment is one thing; collecting on it is an entirely different matter.

You should consult counsel to make sure you obtain a judgment for your back support and then try to enforce it asap. If the ex's attorney gets a judgment first and begins collection efforts, you might find yourself second in line to collect money from your ex.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.


Always good idea to talk to a local family law atty to at least get advice, if not full representation.


I agree with attorney Peoples.

Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any statements are made for general informational purposes and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client privilege is created by this communication. Attorney is licensed in California only.


This is a family law/divorce issue, so I have edited the practice area and tags you selected accordingly.

Because I am not a family law lawyer, I am unable to answer your first question. As to your second question, yes, you certainly should hire a lawyer. I suggest that you consult an Irving lawyer who is certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. A link to the Board's website appears below.

Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer