Skip to main content

Ex-Fiancee in forecloure and I'm being included in court paperwork. How do I get my name off?

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

She put me on the deed years ago. I'm NOT on the mortgage. Now she's being foreclosed and the court has me included in the paperwork. How do I get my name unattached from this? I'm afraid it will affect me from getting a mortgage in the future.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Because your name is on the deed, the bank must include you in the foreclosure.

You could offer to quitclaim your interest to the bank in exchange for a release from the lawsuit.

However, before you do so, you should do a cost benefit analysis to determine if you might receive any money after the foreclosure and sale. Surplus funds are rare - but it sometimes happens.

You should consult a local attorney.

I am not a FL attorney, laws vary from state to state, therefore you should always consult a local attorney.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.


Sorry-you will not get your name off-they name every possible person that might have an interest in order to have a clean title for the next owner.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer