Ex-co-worker told Dev. disabled clients I was fired and Why.

Santa Rosa, CA |

worked for a non- profit organization for developmentaly Delayed adults where confidentiality is a high priority. An ex Co-worker blurted out to several developmentaly disabled client that I was fired and detailed to them WHY I was fired.

You do not ask a question but I am assuming you are wondering if you have a case. If this is the case, you have a problem in that it is an ex-employee whom your employer has no control over. You can pursue this person for a variety of claims but it will be expensive and the results aren't guaranteed.
Legal disclaimer: Please be advised that the advice provided does not create any attorney/client relationship; that due to the various state laws that the information provided is a general overview of the law, which might not be applicable to you, based upon the laws of your state. We will not file anything on your behalf nor protect any statute of limitations which might arise and recommend that you IMMEDIATELY consult legal counsel for adviceThis response does not constitute or make an attorney-client relationship as it is made for general purposes; answering attorney does not possess enough information to inform recipient of the applicable statute of limitations. You may also contact Mr. Hiden at (619) 296-5884 or by email at "dhiden@hrollp.com"

The confidentiality you refer to is that of your clients, not of you. There is no actionable duty not to state why a person was terminated if the information is correct.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

There is no violation of law where an employer informs others of your termination, or the reasons why, unless the stated reasons are factually false (i.e., telling them you were fired for A when you were fired for B), which would give rise to a possible slander cause of action.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.