Skip to main content

Even though you have a public defender, if you are unhappy with your defense, can you still hire a lawyer to represent you?

Bath, NY |

If you can hire a lawyer how do you know if it is worth the investment, or if you are just wasting your hard earned money to get the same outcome?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


That is a difficult question. You should consult with a number of attornies to discuss your options.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.


I frequently tell my clients " there is one person between you and the penitentiary door, that's your lawyer." You must have confidence in your attorney to represent you. If you are not satisfied, get a second opinion from another experienced criminal defense attorney to review your case. Pay him/her for her time. Get educated and make a judgment call.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..


If you can afford to hire a lawyer you are suppossed to do that. A public defender is meant for the indigent only. Public defenders can be good but they are very over worked and therefore won't have as much time to work on your case as a private lawyer will. Like anything else in life, you get what you pay for.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer