Skip to main content

Even though my daughter has her dads last name can i get it changed 2 my last name since he basically has nothing 2 do with her?

Hickory, NC |

she is now 5 and him and i split up shortly after she was born! he just recently started making his child support payments which put him 15 to almost $2000 dollars behind, we have a court agreement that he is to have supervised visitations every other weekend at his mothers house which he fails to go to, besides once in a blue moon, and not counting he continually gets in trouble and goes in and out of jail. Ive pretty much taken care of her my own since she has been born and i really think i deserve for her to have my last name, with all of this i told you, even though i know her father wouldnt willing let me change it, do i have a case or is it even possible for me to get it changed on my own and how do i go about it?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Unfortunately, this is a difficult question, since most states will not give you the release that you seek. However, frequently I see that people in this situation will simply use the maiden name to register their children for school, etc., or alternately, use a hyphenated combination of the maiden name and the husband's name. Then at a later date, people try to file a name change and argue that the only name which the child knows is the mother's maiden name.
In all fairness, it is very difficult to get this relief.. Consult a local attorney. Good luck.

The answers to questions provided in response to the request for assistance are general in nature, and reflect information which is primarily based upon general legal principals, and may additionally reflect Ohio principles of legal practice, as this is the primary location of this Attorney's practice. As with any legal advice, the advise is general in character, and should not be put into practice without specifically consulting your local counsel, who will possess far more insight into the applicable standards and laws of your specific State, your case's specific issues and the local Rules of Court and practices of the specific jurisdiction your legal action is governed by. You are specifically instructed : Do not proceed without first discussing this matter with your own local Attorney. This Office does not provide free legal advice by telephone. A 15 Minute Consultation can be obtained at no cost for certain types of legal cases, but to obtain same, an Office appointment is required. Provision of the answers to general questions does not constitute an act of representation, and the Attorney shall not be deemed to accept employment based upon the responses contained herein. The reader is advised that they utilize the general suggestions contained in the responses at their own risk, and under no circumstances should they disregard the advise of their present local legal counsel based upon any suggestions or opinions contained herein. Also, the bast method to discuss a case with an attorney is to do so directly, by scheduling a formal consultation in their office, bringing with you at the time of the meeting all of your relevant paperwork, including any contratcs, any Orders from Court, decrees, complaints, pleadings, etc., and any other relevant information for the attorney to review. General information via the internet is no substitute for an actual meeting with an attorney. The advice provided on line in response to the limited information is provided without charge. It is also provided without the benefit of face to face discussions, so before you act--consult an attorney in person.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer