Skip to main content

Even though its a small business can u still file charges for office bullying and harrassmemt ?

Iowa, LA |

I have been on my job almost 20 years.. the only time I take time off is for sickness are if its emergency with my children which is not often. my bosses wife who works there says mean things to me all the time, so my boss wants to make the wife happy and treats me bad even in front of the people we deal with are when she makes him. he told me this.. now I have health issues due to the worrying of job loss,i am single and have to work.. but cant take much more of this.

.it's imbarrising. I work hard. tsome of the other co workers are lazy. and stay on cell phones and never get told anything

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


This question is best addressed to an attorney specializing in employment law as opposed to personal injury law.


You would need to consult with someone who does Employment law to see if you have a hostile work environment complaint to make. Avvo has a Find a Lawyer tool for finding attorneys who practice in different areas of the law in your specific area.

This information is provided for general purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created with the furnishing of this advice. Attorney licensed in North Carolina only.


You should check with local counsel to see whether it makes sense to pursue a claim. AVVO has a tool to help you find a lawyer:

If you want to discuss please email me at I'll get back to you right away. Thanks.


Consult a local labor law attorney - many offer a free initial consultation

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.


When you say file charges, are you talking about criminal charges? Probably not unless you are assaulted or battered.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Not on these facts, but you may want to consider looking for a job with a better work environment.


You can not file criminal charges but you could file a suit an employment suit. You should consult with an employment attorney. However your chances are not great because as of yet you do not have any actual damages. You should look for a better job or accept the unpleasant work conditions. Louisiana is an at will employment state so the employer can terminate you for any reason as long as it is not a discriminatory reason. There are really no laws that require an employer to treat employees respectfully. If you do not like the way you are treated your option is to leave or discuss with the employer.

Every situation is different and you should consult your own attorney to go over all the particular facts in your case. The answer given is only intended to provide general guidance regarding rights and responsibilities.