Skip to main content

Entered this country legally,married a us citizen,but green card expired. How do I get a legal status again without deportation?

Las Vegas, NV |

I have three children whom are all citizens, have been living here since I was 17 years old 39 currently (renewed green card on time, but under very difficult circumstance, I couldn't this time around), and been working legally since approximately 1 to 2 years ago. I have had a few minor legal problems (ex. DUI), but all handled while legal.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Just because your green card expired doesn't necessarily mean that you lost immigration status. You will want to hire an experienced attorney to see what your options are - and if you still have status, you may be able to simply file for a renewal card.

This general advice does not create an attorney-client relationship.


I agree with my colleague.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


I agree with my colleagues ... file an I-90

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer