Skip to main content

Enforcement of pay over an oral agreement

Los Angeles, CA |

I worked for a company that now is threatening to sue because the job was not 100% done due to technical difficulties, however i didn't have a contract directly with them, but only an oral agreement with the person that got the contract (he is a business person, and i am the worker).

I received money for the work done, but because the product was not completed they want their entire money back, at least this is what the person which had the contract has told me. He is now pressuring me to return some of the money in quick time, because of the threat of the sue.

I don't know the terms of the contract but i suspect that he didn't take much care in ellaborating it, am i forced to return some money in the time he indicates when really there was nothing previously said about it?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You do not have to return any money. The company cannot sue you. It is between him and the company who hired him. If they sue him, he will have a hard time suing you as his employee, but can always claim you breached an independent contractor agreement.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.


I agree with Attorney Fink. As a worker for the person who entered into the oral contract, you should not be liable. You do not have to return any money.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer