Skip to main content

Employment section of the N400 citizenship application

Paterson, NJ |

I have a small hobby that I do like posting blogs and videos online, I usually make a small amount of money every month doing this, should I list this hobby as self employment on the N400 application? If I need too, what should I under employer name and address? since their is none.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


If you are getting paid from multiple individuals or businesses, then you are self employed. You can list your home address/phone number since that's where you work from.

Raja S. Gill | Attorney At Law | Gill Law Group | T: (855) 600-4567 | T: (949) 333-0891 | F: (949) 625-4816 Disclaimer: Answers/information provided on this site general nature for information and educational purposes only. The answer may or may not apply to the facts of your case. Please consult an attorney before making any decisions or in any way relying on this information.


If you are earning income from this and reporting it on your taxes then it should be disclosed on the N-400. You can list it as self-employment.


I agree with the answers provided by the attorneys here.

973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advice and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.


I also agree with my colleagues that you should mention this information under the employment category and list yourself as self-employed. Be sure that you have listed this income on your personal income taxes as well.

There is a question on the N-400 regarding have you paid your taxes, etc. Make sure you are complying with the requirements noted in that question on the N-400, before you file the form with USCIS.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer