Skip to main content

Emotional distress

Los Angeles, CA |

How much is the maximum award for damages in an intentional infliction of emotional distress case?
Could you provide some examples for this kind of lawsuit?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

I am not sure if there are any maximum or minimum damage awards for IIED cases. The award will depend on the facts and circumstances of each case, and how the finder of facts perceives them. You should consult your own attorney to protect your legal rights.


Counsel is correct. There is no cap for an award in an Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress case. Although there is a cap for some other types of litigation, such as medical malpractice. Unfortunately, your question states no facts. So, there is no way to determine if you have a valid case or what kind of an award may be warranted. Every case is different, based on the facts of that case, the jury makeup and the venue where the case is located. You may wish to speak with an attorney.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer is for information purposes only and is not meant to and in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship.


Any award for emotional distress is based upon the actual distress and how it minifests itself in you.
The only limitation on emotional distress damages in california is in the medical malpractice field where all pain and suffering damages (including emotinal distress) are limited to 250,000.


The previous responses have been dead on. There is no maximum award for intentional infliction of emotional distress. However, in CA, the plaintiff has the burden of proof to prove what damages they are entitled to. It depends on the facts of your case and what a jury thinks the value of your case is.

Legal disclaimer: The information provided is general in nature based on the limited information provided and does not constitute an attorney client relationship. This attorney is licensed only in the State of California and Idaho and is not rendering you legal advice. The information given is for educational purposes only. The best advice would be to consult with an attorney in your local jurisdiction for answers and opinions based on specific and more detailed information relevant to your case specific question and the relevant laws in your area.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer