Skip to main content

Eligibility of second opt for second master after leaving usa for few years

Indio, CA |

On completing my first master's degree I applied for OPT but left the country for a few years after the first 90 days. Am I eligible for an OPT again if i return to USA to pursue an MBA, since i didn't utilise the full OPT the first time..

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Moving to a new level of study provides eligibility for a new 12 months of practical training, see 8 CFR 214.2(f)(10). If the student leaves the US for more than a temporary absence (5 months) he would be available for a new year of OPT once he re-entered the US on a new F-1 visa for a new course of study. So, I believe you can yes.


I agree with my colleague.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.


I, too, agree.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer