Skip to main content

Edd appeal

Los Angeles, CA |

i file for uneployment a month ago online two weeks later i had recive my award pappers teeling me what my weekly payment will be, so a week after that i called edd to find out when will i be getting my first payment an i was told they approved it and it will be on my edd debit card in two days, So in two days checked an my card said 0 dallars, so i called edd again and i was told there there was an identity varication to send copys of my social last paycheck stub and copy of last w2. So i did all but didnt not send a copy of my id because i didnt have one so i got a letter sayn my ui claim has been denied for no proof of id, so i sent in an appeal saying i didnt have money to buy one, but now i have one when i go to appeal court will lose not having an id but now i can show proof of ID

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If you were eligible to work in the U.S. you are probably OK. If not and you are undocumented, you cannot get EDD benefits.

Best to email your specific issues to the EDD for a faster response.


David A. Mallen offers answers on Avvo for general information only. This offer of free, general answers is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. If you need specific advice regarding your legal question, you should consult an attorney confidentially. Many experienced California labor and employment attorneys offer no-risk legal consultations to employers and employees at no charge. David A. Mallen is only licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, as well as the California Labor Commissioner and the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board. Failure to take legal action within the time periods prescribed by law could result in the loss of important legal rights and remedies. Information posted in responses to legal questions and any other comments, opinions, recommendations, answers, analysis, references, referrals or legally related content or information (collectively "Legal Information") is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me. Such Legal Information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely upon such Legal Information. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege.


The failure to provide a valid identification is a legitimate reason for the EDD denying you benefits. Get the ID. It costs far less than what you will lose by not having one. If you cannot legally get one, then you cannot legally get unemployment benefits at this time.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.


I'm glad you obtained the ID. Be sure to bring it with you to your appeal hearing. If you are otherwise eligible (meet all the other requirements), the administrative law judge may be able to get you back on track quickly.

You should also know the law the administrative law judge will consider. You can get a lot of helpful information on the EDD website.

Home page

Eligibility requirements

Summaries of the law (Benefit Determination Guide)


Precedent Decisions (law the administrative law judges rely on)

Frequently asked questions

Filing a claim for unemployment benefits

You can be represented by anyone at the hearing. If your appeal will be difficult or you are uncomfortable speaking, you may wish to retain an attorney to help you prepare or to represent you at the hearing. For training, expect the attorney to need approximately three hours. For representation at the hearing, expect the attorney to need three to seven hours to prepare, depending on the complexity of the case, witnesses, documents and other evidence, and allow two hours for the hearing itself. Unemployment hearings usually last one hour or less, but you must arrive early to look at the file, and there is a possibility you will have to wait past your hearing time if the previous case has not finished.

Generally, as of 2012-2013, plaintiffs employment attorneys in California charge between $250 and $700 per hour for legal services. The amount varies based on years of experience, geographic location, attorney availability, attorney interest in the case, complexity of the matter, and more.

To find a plaintiffs employment attorney in California, visit the California Employment Lawyers Association (CELA) at CELA is the largest and most influential bar association in the state for attorneys representing working people. You can search for attorneys by location and practice area. Many CELA attorneys represent clients throughout the state.

Marilynn Mika Spencer
San Diego, CA *** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the deadline for filing your claim, you will lose the opportunity to pursue your case. Please consult with an experienced employment attorney as soon as possible to better preserve your rights. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer provides information on Avvo as a service to the public, primarily when general information may be of assistance. Avvo is not an appropriate forum for an in-depth response or a detailed analysis. These comments are for information only and should not be considered legal advice. Legal advice must pertain to specific, detailed facts. No attorney-client relationship is created based on this information exchange. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, and can appear before administrative agencies throughout the country. She is eligible to represent clients in other states on a pro hac vice basis. ***

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer