Skip to main content

Dwi, smart start?

Edinburg, TX |

I just got my first dwi and I have probation for a year, I've already been on it for four months and have had the interlock for 3, going on four and I have that for 6 months. I was drinking on a Friday night and the next Saturday afternoon I had a "violation" it didn't say failed test. Just that. It's my first one. What should I expect to happen?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You need a lawyer. This is a potentially serious violation. It could lead to inpatient treatment or revocation.
Austin DWI Lawyer

My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website,


All POs and judges handle this differently. If no alcohol is a condition of your probation, they will be even more upset. The first question is whether the PO will even violate you or just give you a warning in the field. That is usually up to her unless she has strict orders from your judge to be notified of every violation. If she does violate you, you need to hire an attorney to handle this. A warrant will be issued for your arrest.

In that situation, the judge may just admonish you that it better never happen again, he may punish you with a few days in jail, he may order another alcohol evaluation and possible increased conditions, or any number of other outcomes. The bottom line is, you need to take your probation more seriously if you want to stay out of jail.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.


Please stop drinking while you are on probation. Any interlock violation is automatically reported to the Judge. As Mrs. Jagger's said,a lot depends on the Judge and the Probation Officer. They could file a Motion to Revoke, or they could just haul you into court and admonish you. If I were you, I would consult the attorney who got the probation. I would hope they knew the policies of the court you appeared in. Hope this helps.

James R. "Jim" Butler,Houston,Texas,DWI Lawyer. Free Consultation .Call (713)236-8744. Pardon my typing and or grammar,I am sending from my i-phone.I only represent people accused of DWI in Texas. My answer is based upon the limited amount of information supplied in your question. The answers I give on this site are intended for general educational purposes only. If you already have an attorney, I always suggest that you consult with that attorney first.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer