Skip to main content

During OPT can I take classes in a different school?

Tampa, FL |

In the state of Florida, while I working full-time on OPT, can I start a part-time, higher education, program in a different school (not the current DSO)? If yes, do I need to transfer my SEVIS account to the new school?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

You cannot attend a new school with your current SEVIS account as they are school specific. The new school would have to process you and get approval from USCIS before youcould start classes. If oyu convert the F-1 to and H1B because your employer sponsors you, then you can attend school while on the H1B. If you need helo with the H1B let me know.


You should ask the DSO of the school, but I assume you need a new I-20

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at


You need to speak with the DSOs at the schools in question.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


My colleagues are correct.

Law Office of Luis A. Guerra (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.


I agree with my colleagues, you need to speak to your DSO before you do anything.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer