Skip to main content

During my citizenship interview it was objected about my overseas visit 7 months prior to 5 years qualifying period

Fairfax, VA |

now they need to know that i did not break my continuous stay. i was staying with my sister. i did not file tax in 2008 as i did not work here. i was already doing job overseas with international airline. what should i do.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You asking us a very fact specific question. To answer questions of this kind one would need to review the record of your travel not take your word for it. If your 7 months stay abroad happened longer than five years immediately preceding your application for naturalization but were otherwise eligible to apply, you needed not wait five years. You needed to wait 4 years and 1 day.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


More information is needed including whether other requirements of Natz. eligibility are satisfied and when.


Bring the file and all submission to a practicing immigration attorney to review your exact timelines and possible disruption in the requisite residency to calculate the accurate initial time for the five years necessary for your N400.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


. It sounds like the interviewing officer is inquiring into whether you've abandoned your residency. You working abroad for a period of time complicates matters. Consult with and retain an attorney as soon as you can.

The answer provided is for general information purposes and cannot be relied upon. In order to provide legal advice, one must engage with a live attorney; this answer does not create such attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer