Skip to main content

DUI Case Dismissed - How to get my license back

Jacksonville, FL |

I was charged in December 2006 (over 7 years ago). I refused the breath test. My attorney got the case dismissed. I've been living overseas since, so never needed my FL license since then.

What do I need to do to get my license back?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


First, get your official license status from the state of Florida by going on-line. Once you have that in hand, see if your license is merely expired or remains suspended. From there, you will likely be able to take the steps to get the license re-activated fairly quickly. The DPS has on-line phone service, to allow you to ask questions and get answers about reinstatement.

Mr. Head is license to practice law in the State of Georgia, and is not currently licensed in other states. Any written answers or postings of legal guides are not specific legal advice to any person or corporation. You cannot rely on these postings for any pending legal matter. Until and unless ALL THREE of these things occur, Mr. Head is NOT your attorney: (1) Mr. Head accepts your specific case; and (2) you and Mr. Head sign a written agreement for legal services; and (3) you pay his initial retainer. Any email communication from Mr. Head does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship, unless ALL THREE of the above conditions have first occurred.


I agree with attorney Head. Additionally, it sounds like when you do attempt to reinstate your Florida DL, you may need to jump through some minor hoops- As of January 1, 2010 the Florida DMV implemented stricter ID requirements.
Here is a link with the documents you can expect to bring to the DMV

I hope this helps!


The first thing you want to do is check the status of your Florida Drivers License. You can do that by going online to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles ( and see if your DL has expired or if it suspended for any reason. Once you know the status you can then take steps to either renew your license or have it reinstated.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on as such. This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state and even county by county. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws, local rules and the area of practice in which your concerns rest. Each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Congrats on beating your DUI and welcome back to the usa, now that your back, start the process , assuming your now living in florida, see what the florida dmv requires, but since/assuming you beat the dui, you should have relatively smooth sailing. If not, consult a florida attorney asap.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer