Skip to main content

DUI - would character letters help reduce my fees (including court assessment fees)? Is there anything I can do to reduce fees?

Westminster, CA |
Attorney answers 4


Some judges will allow you to do community service to reduce your fines and fees. You may also be able to do additional jail time to reduce the fees. Check with the public defender's office or a local attorney to see what they recommend. Character letters won't do much good; if you're a student or have other financial problems let an experienced attorney make the case for you rather than having it done in writing that nobody will read.


Generally not the fines and fees and terms of probation are generally
cookie cutter however you generally can trade fines 4 work


Character letters wont really do much good. However, like others have said, you could probably convert to jail or community service (at least some of it). However, one way to reduce fees is getting the charges reduced themselves since fine amounts are generally dependent on the charge you are convicted of (if any). Talk to your attorney about it. If you don't hire, ask the court for a public defender and speak to them.

Additionally, if its still possible, request a DMV hearing. That must be done within 10 days from the date of arrest. Even if you don't want to fight the charge, that will at least post-pone the suspension of your license for a bit.

Any information provided through in response to a question is not, and cannot be considered a formation of any Attorney-Client relationship. Questioner understands that the nature of this system allows only for a cursory review of case information, and more detailed information should not be divulged in this public forum. As such, Questioner is recommended to contact an Attorney in order to discuss the full details of their case and a more specific advisement of potential rights and liabilities.


Some of the fines can be stayed if the court is persuaded. However, it is very rare. The court may allow community service or public work service in lieu of some of the fines. It is key that you hire the best locally experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you that you can afford. You should obtain a free consultation as soon as possible. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer