Skip to main content

Dual marriage citizenship help, options and issues.

Chicago, IL |

First married philippine girl in Philippines in 2002 and also married indian girl in 2002 and i brought indian girl to US on H4 visa ( I was in H1 visa at the time of marry).
I got my green card threw my employement both meself and my wife. Now i want to apply for my citizenship. I got my green card almost 8 years ago.
I diverse my philipine wife in US almost 2 and half years and i been taking care child support . She never been entered in US and she live in Philipines.
I need help on my situation. and options i have.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


It sounds like you committed bigamy and that the "indian girl" was validly married to you. See an attorney.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.



Is it good idea to go for citizenship or better to extend my greencard. Please give some approch.

Jeffrey Adam Devore

Jeffrey Adam Devore


I agree with Mr. Shusterman. You need to consult with an experienced immigration attorney. Avvo is not the place to get case specific advice. You have already committed fraud on your immigration applications and you know it. Don't complicate the matter further. Get professional help.


Hire an attorney and stay off the internet with incriminating details.

Being married to two people at once is a crime and will not be well accepted by US officials.

Do nothing until you have sorted out your criminal conduct options with legal counsel.


If you married the "philippine girl" first, then your subsequent marriage to the "indian girl" should not have been recognized by U.S. immigration--which means that her own status is now in some jeopardy. You may also face serious consequences, and I agree with Mr. Shusterman that you should consult with an immigration attorney before filing anything with USCIS.


Since you married your Philippine wife first, and presented your bigamous Indian wife as a wife, you have a fraud issue. Do not file for citizenship without an attorney. Your Indian wife is lucky she has had the green card for more than five years since she could have also had a serious issue.

Under the guidelines set by AVVO, this response is general information only and not specific legal advice, and no attorney client relationship is formed by this response to your question.


It appears you have committed bigamy and although bigamy is not the same as polygamy, in my experience this is a problem for naturalization. Wait for five years from the divorce to file.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


This is a complex citizenship case and the dual marriage may be discovered. You should go through this case in depth with an attorney.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
SwagatUSA, LLC

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer