Skip to main content

Dual citizenship

Seattle, WA | just wondering about dual citizenship..i was born in philippines and my dad is a america citizen but before that he's a filipino and migrate in united states and apply for american citizenship...thats why he became american question is since i born in philippines i carry my dad citizenship which is american,my mom was a filipino citizen...after my mom give birth my dad go thru U.S embassy and report it that i was born and they send a bith abroad certificate for i require to get philippine/american citizenship..i dont want to lose my american their any problem if i get dual?i got birth certificate in philippine which im holding on it..i was planning to go home and stay there for 2 year..pls give me some advice not to lose my US.C

i came here in US on september 11, 2007 and i was 19 year of age by that time,and im 25 years old on july..i was planning to get dual citizenship..since birth im american citizen because my dad hes american citizen..and my mom is filipino citizen..currently im hold US birth abroad,naturalization..and Birth certifate from philippines...

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


No problem. You are safe. You can have both.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


There are a number of requirements we need to analyze including when/how you came to US. I'd be happy to go through it with you. Some of what we need to go through involves how old you were when certain events happened, how old you are now, if you ate in the US, and more.

This reply is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice in any particular case. This reply does not create an attorney/client relationship.


It is very hard to lose US citizenship. Acquiring a new citizenship is generally not enough.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.