Skip to main content

DS-160 and I-134. Requirements, etc.

New York, NY |

I am filling up the DS-160 for my first visa application for US and I am a a little confused.

Under travel information, there is an option to choose who will be sponsoring the trip financially - self or other person. What should I choose?

I can personally pay for the trip but I was told that since I am a young graduate visiting US for a voluntary observership, if I enter my dad or mom as the sponsor, I will have a better chance of visa approval as it shows family's support and ties.

But I am confused by this guide here:

It says if I choose other person, they need to fill out the I-134 form. But this form looks like it needs to be filled in by someone who is residing in US? My parents live here.

Am I missing something?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

You may wish to hire an attorney to help. Other issues that affect whether your application will be approved, include whether you have other family in the US, your age, what ties you have to your own country, what proof you possess to show the intent to leave the United States when your trip is over, etc.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.



Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't think I could find a lawyer here who deal with visa processing. Most applications here are processed by travel agents who did not appear very knowledgeable about this which was why I decided to ask online. I have a car in my name, and my parents have property here. I am only 24 years old. I have no siblings, and also no relatives in US. I merely wish to study and come back and work at my parent institution. I have one friend in US who can host me during this period, but he is on a non-immigrant visa himself, and would not be able to sponsor me.

Theodore John Murphy

Theodore John Murphy


Use your parents information and provide evidence of your ties to your home country and intent to return when your trip is over.



Thanks. That is exactly what I wish to do. But, where do I show this information about my parents? The DS-160 form or the visa application itself does not seem to have a place to show this? Regards.


What should I choose? The one that is the truth.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.



I don't think you are read the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer