Skip to main content

Driving under the influence with a child?

Fort Hood, TX |

My friend is in the military, she has a very high tolerance for alcohol. Her babysitter called the police after she left from picking up her child and they caught her right before she entered post. She passed the breathalyzer and she walked a completely straight line, nor was she swirving. The police officer got upset and took blood samples and never told her the results. She was bonded out after 48 hours before being transferred to. County jail but she's being charged with a third degree felony and child endangerment. I dont know the legal terms for it. She doesn't have a lot of money for a good attorney so she is waiting for a court date and a court appointed attny. See know she was wrong but the baby sitter could have put a stop to it before she even left the house. Advice please!!!!!!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


There are a lot of issues here, not the least of which is the felony charges. Most attorneys offer a free consulation. I highly suggest using avvo to find couple and giving them a call to explain the situation in more detail. Some attorneys may offer a military discount, and some will offer affordable payment plans. Either way, she will need an attorney. Good luck.


She needs to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney ASAP. The felony charge is a serious matter and it's impact on her military career is another. Get competent legal representation NOW!

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..


The military will likely, initially defer to the state.
The military will likely have her reviewed by the Family Advocacy Committee for potential child endangerment.
There is no double jeopardy for the military and the state to prosecute her at the same time.
She needs a good off base civilian attorney to help. One who knows the military because there can still be other career consequences.;; 703-298-9562, 800-401-1583. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client relationship.


The District Attorney's Office will wait for the blood test to come back from the lab in Waco, Texas. They will indicted her if the blood alcohol is over .08. Ultimately they will review the video tape of her field sobriety test to determine if they are willing to offer her probation. If she wishes to fight the charges then she should retain an attorney who is knowledgeable in the area of DWI law.

I hope you find this answer helpful

Bobby Barina's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Mr. Barina offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call his office at 254-699-3755 to make an appointment or visit his website at for more information about his services.