Skip to main content

Dominican, had a B-1, B-2 Visa for USA. Traveling to USA, custom found a business card of mine and revoke my visa (hairstylist)

Miami, FL |

It was 8 years ago. What should I do to get another tourist visa? Wish to visit friends in USA for few weeks

had a B-2 visa and was traveling in and out of USA for years. I am a hairstylist (retired now). At that time, around 9 years ago, while traveling and visiting family and friends in New-York, was approached to get a job in a beauty parlor. Refused because of my legal situation in USA, the salon's owner has some business cards made to my name to motivate me. Was flattered but did not take the offer but kept the cards!!!. On a random check at Puerto Rico airport, a custom agent found the business card searching the purse. Surprised by the agent's questions and thinking the agent would not believe m sytory, simply let the agent returned me to Santo Domingo. It was over 8 years ago. Never tried to travel back to USA and believe I would have problem to apply to renew or get a new tourist visa.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


If you were subject to expedited removal, you had a 5 year bar on your admission. Looks like it's passed and you can re-apply. But I would want to examine all the documents and timeline to give you a correct advice.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:


you have to apply again, there is a possibility of denial though

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.


The incomplete description of your problem makes it difficult to answer. Did the business card show that you were employed in the U.S.? If so, CBP may have concluded that you had "immigrant intent" and lied or that you did not have work authorization. Check the papers you received at that time. If you wish, you can contact me again by email with more information. I miss my friends in the Cibao - I have not visited in almost 6 years - so I empathize with your desire to see yours.

You should always consult with an experienced immigration attorney to make certain that the advice you received is appropriate for your particular immigration case.


I agree with my colleagues


You have to reapply and demonstrate non-immigrant intent. If you can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the consulate that you will one be visiting the U.S. temporarily, a new tourist visa will be issued. However, it does not hurt to consult an immigration lawyer. Many of us use Skype to consult with clients all around the world as in your situation.

Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.


You will need to apply for a new visa. However, the likelihood of success will depend upon what happened at the port of entry when you were refused admission and whether you can establish that you are maintaining a foreign residence you have no intention of abandoning. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney for case specific advice. Many attorneys will conduct consultations for clients out of their area via telephone or Skype.

While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for general information purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is neither intended nor created. You should seek out qualified counsel to review your case and provide you with advice specific to your situation. Call +1-561-478-5353 to schedule a consultation with Mr. Devore.