Skip to main content

Domestic Violence case against sibling, sibling doesn't want to press charges, pay to get a lawyer or no?

Madison Heights, MI |

My boyfriend is being charged with Domestic Violence case against his brother. It was a simple fight against brothers(ages 23 and 21) that got blown way out of proportion. Mother called cops because she was nervous. The prosecutor decided to pick up the case. The brother does not want to press any charges and didn't sign any paperwork the police wanted him to when the fight happened. This is the first time my boyfriend has ever been in trouble with the law; not even a simple traffic ticket. Been employed for 3 years with a great, respectable job. Is a lawyer really needed in this case?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


Most likely if the brother/victim will not testify and there is not other indep proof the case will be dismiessed.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


Yes! Especially if your boyfriend wants to try and get the case "dropped." To effectively do so, your boyfriend's brother should retain his own separate counsel to try and "convince" the prosecutor he will be an "unavailable" or uncooperative witness. Please note this particular strategy is aggressive, and should ONLY be done with BOTH your boyfriend and his brother having their own separate and independent counsel. Your boyfriend also has the option, depending on his criminal history, to plead "under advisement" (per MCL 769.4a), however he will then have to pay a fine and be on probation and probably take anger management counseling. Warmest regards, Matt Catchick.


In the words of Mick Haller from The Lincoln Lawyer, "don't kid yourself. The state is not going to drop these charges. My sub-concentration is on DV cases, and you should read several of the blog articles I have that are directly on point.

The bottom line: the brother is just a "witness.' He does not control whether charges are continued or not. In-fact, I'd say in about 80% of Michigan DV cases, the so-called victim doesn't want to press charges. Most calls I get are from the alleged victim wanting to know what they can do to get rid of the charges. They will continue the charge whether the brother wants it or not. If he doesn't show-up for a Trial after having been Subpoenaed, that's another story, but even that won't result in a dismissal with prejudice.

On the other hand, the prosecutor will know they are fighting an uphill battle if the alleged victim is now claiming that their original story was a lie or an exaggeration. Still, though, they won't drop the charges. Prosecutors have a book called the Domestic Violence Trial Book, and it trains them how to get a conviction even after the alleged victim has recanted their original accusation.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, perhaps), other than the fact that this is two brothers, rather than a male and a female in a relationship or married, there is nothing unique about this Domestic Violence case. I would get a lawyer and fight this case like any other criminal charge. Domestic Violence in Michigan is just a variation of Assault based on who the victim is. The "Blog" link is on the upper right-hand corner of my site. All your questions are answered in detail there.

- Brian J. Prain, Michigan Domestic Violence Defense Lawyer - (248) 763-0641



Yes. This charge, and certainly a conviction for it can have lifelong consequences.

Watch the videos below on talking to police. Tell mom that the police are for when someone is in danger, not to punish misbehavior.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

Thank you.

--- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin

--- Facebook Page

--- Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police

--- Miranda Rights (and Wrongs)


Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am an experienced Wisconsin criminal defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Few, if any, legal matters should be handled via Internet communication. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

Click on the “more” link below for more important information about the answer and AVVO.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.


Absolutely. Just because the brother doesn't want to prosecute does not mean that prosecutor will give a deal or dismiss. Ultimately it is the states decision. There are also situations where they can proceed without the brother's testimony. Your brother can also get in trouble for not showing up to court.

Get an attorney at once.

-Attorney Scott Aaronson
Free Consultations


Your boyfriend needs to hire an attorney as soon as possible. The Prosecutor is not going to drop the charges. Most attorneys, including myself, give free initial consultations. Make sure he at least talks to an attorney.

Kennedy Law Office, PLLC
Free Consultations
Payment Plans

Disclaimer: No attorney-client relationship has been established. Please contact an attorney about your legal rights. This answer is for educational purposes only.


Yes, he should definitely seek the assistance of an attorney. Your boyfriend has everything to lose...his clean record, his character, his relationships, and potentially, his employment.
The fact that the brother did not sign the paperwork, and the prosecution still charged your boyfriend is an indication that the case will move forward. The mother is a witness (and made statements to the police during the phone call), and the city can attempt to compel the brother to testify. An attorney may be able to work out a resolution and/or explanation that will satisfy the prosecution and your boyfriend.
Good luck.

My answer to this question is for general informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should seek the assistance of an attorney to determine the best approach and potential consequences for your situation.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer