Skip to main content

Domestic violence - my case is not receiving adequate attention from DA's office. What should I do?

Sherman, TX |

Charges were filed with the police but his sister works for the DA's office in the county where the incident took place. Everytime I call for a status or even when I went to get a protective order I have been treated like the criminal instead of the victim. What should I do to ensure that my case receives the same attention and consideration as any other? Should I get my own attorney? What if I can't afford one?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


I am not licensed to practice in Texas, but wanted to give you a couple of ideas of where you could go to get some assistance. I have attached a link for the Victim Services Division in Sherman. They can help inform you about the domestic violence charges that are being brought by the DA. For your protective order, if you cannot afford to hire an attorney, I would suggest you contact Legal Aid of NorthWest Texas. They provide free civil legal services to eligible low-income residents, and should be able to help you navigate that issue in civil court. I've attached links for both groups. Best of luck.

This response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Hixson Law, PLLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Be advised that every state has its own statutes of limitation and case law that govern the handling of all criminal and civil matters. All legal matters should be discussed with an attorney who is licensed to practice in your state prior to making any decisions or taking any actions. Please use discretion when discussing case details online or in any other public forum.