Skip to main content

Domestic Abuse and Child Abuse

Saint Paul, MN |

There has been Domestic Abuse in the relationship. This happened in front of the children. Also, there has been abuse to the children. The oldest has been speaking about this abuse. Currently there is an OFP in place. Can the OFP be changed before it expires? Are there Lawyers that have experience in multiple areas? Domestic Violence, Child Abuse, Divorce, OFP, Custody

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Hello. It is possible to change terms of an OFP. Yes, there are attorneys with experience in multiple areas. This website provides general information and general principles of law and does not provide private legal advice. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will confer initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.

Tricia Dwyer, Esq.
Phone: 612-296-9666

Twin Cities & St. Cloud, Minnesota licensed attorney, Tricia Dwyer, Esq.: Phone 612-296-9666. CHILD CUSTODY & PARENTING TIME LAW, ORDER FOR PROTECTION LAW, PARENTING TIME EXPEDITOR, CHILDREN & THE LAW, DOMESTIC VIOLENCE LAW, FAMILY LAW, FAMILY LAW MEDIATOR, CRIMINAL LAW, Rule 114 Qualified Neutral, Minnesota Supreme Court Roster Mediator, Tricia Dwyer, Esq. & Associates PLLC, Phone: 612.296-9666 - EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR until 8 p.m. daily. See


Yes, you can petition the court to extend the OFP prior to its expiration. There are many attorneys who handle those areas of the law.


You can motion the court to extend the OFP. The standard if fairly low for doing so, basically you just have to show that you are still in fear of the abuser. As counsel stated, many family law attorneys handle OFP cases, both original and extensions.

Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the recipient. Responses are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice. You should consult a lawyer regarding any specific legal matter.


An Order for Protection may be extended before its expiration under Minnesota Statutes. Minnesota Statutes 518B provides that - "Upon application, notice to all parties, and hearing, the court may extend the relief granted in an existing order for protection or, if a petitioner's order for protection is no longer in effect when an application for subsequent relief is made, grant a new order. The court may extend the terms of an existing order or, if an order is no longer in effect, grant a new order upon a showing that:

(1) the respondent has violated a prior or existing order for protection;

(2) the petitioner is reasonably in fear of physical harm from the respondent;

(3) the respondent has engaged in the act of stalking within the meaning of section 609.749, subdivision 2; or

(4) the respondent is incarcerated and about to be released, or has recently been released from incarceration.

A petitioner does not need to show that physical harm is imminent to obtain an extension or a subsequent order under this subdivision."

I have handled a number of such cases over the years. You should retain legal counsel.

Maury D. Beaulier, Esq.
(612) 240-80095

CALL 612-240-8005 for a Consultation. Disclaimer: Nothing in this email message creates an attorney client relationship absent a retainer agreement with this office. Any response to email inquiries should be considered general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. You should always consult a lawyer in your state regarding your specific legal matter. Visit online at

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer