Does USCIS need to have a Copy in my file or certified copy?

During my green card interview i disclosed the arrest to the immigration officer. I had a certified copy of the court disposition and a copy of it. after the officer looked at the documents, he asked for a copy to keep it n the file, so I add the copy (not the certified) to the file and gave me the certified back.

Please let me know if USCIS need the certified copy or just a copy in the file?

In such instances the officer needs to examine the original court certified document and once satisfied with its authenticity and contents he/she only needs to keep its copy on your file.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

You have a regular copy in the file and you bring a certified copy to the interview for the officer to inspect.

Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 |ICannHelpYouNow.com | John1Davidson@gmail.com

I would say the officer has answered this question for you already.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

As long as yu presented the certified copy, you did the right thing.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

I did present a certified copy to the officer, but he kept a copy in the file, is that Ok? will the USCIS question the validity of the documents give that the translation is certified translation and the copy is true and accurate copy? will it be a reason to nullify my status? please let me know Thanks

The USCIS insists that you provide certified copies of the court records in these circumstances, which can be easily obtained from the clerk of the court in which you were convicted.