Skip to main content

Does USCIS local office issue I-797C with receipt number??

New York, NY |

We received I-797C after filing appeal form eoir 29 at the local office. The I797C does not have a receipt number; it says " EFRS - Applicant Receipt" at the top and " Customer Copy: Retain this copy as official documentation of your payment" at the bottom. It also lists my name and A number. Without a receipt number we can't check the case status online. This appeal was filed since last year and the BIA still hasn't received it.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


If it does not have a receipt number try following up based on your A number.

JP Sarmiento, Esq.
(216) 573-3712



Thanks, when we called the customer service they asked about the receipt number. They couldn't give us any info without it.


You can also call 1-800-898-7180 for immigration court status and find out the status of the appeal.
If you find that the appeal has been lost in the system, I would also contact the BIA directly.

The information you obtained at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. Asma Chaudry invites you to contact her directly and welcomes your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting Asma Chaudry does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to her until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established. (732) 662-4125


I agree with my colleagues.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


No, you cannot track cases online that are pending at the local USCIS offices.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


One of the frustrating aspects of EOIR-29 appeals is that the person filing the appeal must submit all documents to USCIS. USCIS then decides when to forward the case to the BIA. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to get answers regarding the current status of the appeal, especially in your situation, in which you do not have a standard type of receipt. I suggest that you communicate directly with your local USCIS office, which apparently is the office where you submitted the appeal. You might consider doing an InfoPass to try to get an answer about the current status of the appeal.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


NO, it is a job of the centralized service. If you paid locally you should have gotten a paper receipt

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.



Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer