Skip to main content

Does this new immigration reform means that if im here undocumented that i have to now go back?

Jacksonville, FL |

I enter legally from the bahamas but overstayed my visa, stayed out of problems and lived low key , what will this reform mean for me?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


It is still impossible to say what the details of the new reform will be or even if it will pass. One mechanism they have said they are working on is a way to better track when people over stay their visas, but we still don't know what that would look like or how it would work. In the meantime, keep avoiding any problems with the law that could affect your immigration opportunities in the future.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. No client-attorney relationship is created through this information. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions.


We won't know for sure until the final bill is signed into law. Keeping a low profile is the best you can do right now, if you don't have any way of legalizing in the meantime. Good luck.

[This answer is for general purposes only; it does not constitute advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.]


It is too early to tell. Be patient. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.


Is too early to say what the new reform will say. Need to wait until the law is passed in Congress.


I agree with my colleagues and be sure not to confuse the CIR (that has not yet been passed) with the new rules that already took place (provisional waiver).

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.


If you are here out of status you are here illegally, thus by definition if you want to follow the law you need to leave or if you qualify, apply for a lawful status. Any new reform or proposed reform will not change this, in fact the proposed reform, if passed, will be more strict with people in your situation.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer